Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Louisiana Jambalaya

I am currently writing this at 5:30 AM and just looking at the pictures of this dish is making me salivate.  Okay and I'm not saying it's the prettiest dish I've ever made, but it is so flavorful and oh gosh I'm craving it.  I'm going to try to resist eating leftovers until lunch when it's socially acceptable!  I've mentioned before that I have family in the south so I feel pretty connected to southern food.  I have also mentioned before that just because you're making some southern comfort food doesn't mean it has to be full of fat.  I think this recipe is a great way to get all the flavor and skip a lot of the fat.  Ultimately you want food that tastes good, but also makes you feel great.  This dish has some good heat to it, and if it were a few years ago this would be too spicy for me, but I'm growing up and learning how to eat hot food haha and enjoying it.  It is also nice because it's a one pot meal and is a pretty simple and straight forward recipe. 


L O U I S I A N A  J A M B A L A Y A           R E C I P E

Ingredients 
☂ 13.3 oz. package of mild chicken Italian sausage (not in casings)
☂ 3 Tbsp. olive oil
☂ 2 green bell peppers, chopped
☂ 2 onions, chopped
☂ 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
☂ 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
☂ 5 green onions, minced
☂ 1 Tbsp. creole seasoning (I use the Tony Chacheres's the Original Creole Seasoning)
☂ 1 tsp. oregano
☂ 2 bay leaves
☂ 2½ cups long grain rice, rinsed
☂ 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
☂ 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
☂ 16 oz. can of diced tomatoes

Directions
☂ Heat large soup pot to medium heat and add in bell peppers, onions, jalapeno, garlic, green onions, creole seasoning, oregano, and bay leaves.  Put a lid on the pot and cook for 15 minutes.  Give it a stir every five minutes.  
☂ Add rice to the pot.  Stir and let it cook for a few minutes until the rice has toasted a bit (this ensures that the individual grains of rice stand out and don't become mush).  
☂ Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, chicken stock, and break up sausage into the pot.  Give everything a good stir and turn the heat to high.
☂ Once it comes to a full simmer, turn the heat to low and cover with a lid.  Cook for about 45 minutes, and stir it a few times once it's been cooking for 30 minutes so that the bottom rice doesn't burn.
☂ When the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed it's ready to eat!
☂ WALAH!  Enjoy and start feeling nourished
\

No comments:

Post a Comment