Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Flank Steak Fajita Marinade


































































I was just telling my Dad yesterday that in my next life I would like to be born in Mexico.  I hope that can be arranged because I am seriously a little bit Mexican food crazy.  And when I say a little bit I almost always mean a lot.  I would seriously love to have an amazing Abuelita to teach me all her secret recipes, but for now I'm just doing my best.  I'm a pretty big fan of tender meat (as I would think most people are) and usually marinade it when I want that soft texture.  This marinade is fast to make and you only need to marinade your steak for about an hour.  There is nothing worse to me then spending the money on flank steak and ending up chewy and unflavorful meat.  Please don't make that mistake.  This recipe is easy and pretty foolproof.  Plus it just makes some pretty damn good fajitas.  So enjoy!


F L A N K  S T E A K  F A J I T A             M A R I N A D E  R E C I P E

Ingredients
☂ 1½ lbs. flank steak
☂ olive oil

Marinade
☂ 1 cup of red onion, roughly chopped
☂ 2 tsp. cumin
☂ zest of 1 large lime
☂ 4 garlic cloves
☂ 4 Tbsp. olive oil
☂ 1 tsp. salt
☂ 2 chipotle peppers (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
☂ 2 tsp. adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)

Directions
☂ Place all marinade ingredients together in a food processor and blend until smooth (takes about 2 minutes).
☂ Take your flank steak and slice it in thin slices AGAINST THE GRAIN [this is very important or you will get tough meat].  
☂ Place meat in a large bowl and pour in marinade.  Mix the marinade well with the beef and cover.  I leave my meat on the counter and let it marinade for an hour and then begin to cook.  If you wish to marinade your meat any longer than an hour make sure to refrigerate it!  When you are ready to cook it pull it out and let it sit for 15 minutes so that it isn't cold when you cook it because that can make it tough.  You can marinade the meat for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.  
☂ So after an hour I heat a pan to medium high-heat and drizzle in a little bit of olive oil.  Then I add in half of the flank steak and let it cook on one side until it slightly browns and then I flip it over and let it cook for another minute until it is cooked through (be careful to not overcook).  Then repeat this and cook the rest of the meat. 
☂ To serve with this flank steak fajita meat I often make cilantro-lime rice, sauteed red onions and green bell peppers, salsa, guacamole, corn, and black beans.  But serve this with whatever you like, it also makes great tacos and burritos.  
 WALAH!  Enjoy and start feeling nourished
















No comments:

Post a Comment