Friday, March 28, 2014

Caramelized Onion White Bean Dip


Happy Friday!! These past couple of weeks have been real doozies for me.  I went from one cold to another which my body has just been thrilled about haha.  In all seriousness though this needs to stop because my nose is not a happy camper.  Anyways I don't want to jinx myself but I think I'm on the road to recovery.  So last night, because I'm feeling a little better I wanted to experiment a little in the kitchen.  I was planning on making greek burgers and wanted a spread to go on them that was something other than hummus, so I just threw this one together.  I have made similar ones in the past, but I didn't have a lot of time to spend on it and just wanted to make it simple.  I love the sweet taste of caramelized onions.  They are so easy to make, but they taste so rich and complex.  I am a huge fan of french onion soup which is a small inspiration for the dip that I concocted.  I love making dips with white beans as well because they are so creamy and smooth.  A little trick that I learned a while back is if you add in the liquid from the can of beans into your dip it adds great flavor without having to add more oil or fat into your dips!  Just wanted to add in that this is a super affordable dip to make, so if you're fighting with a budget and don't want to splurge on getting tahini to make fresh hummus this is a great alternative!  P.S.  As I am writing this it is pouring down rain here and I love it.  Many people think that it rains all the time in the Pacific Northwest and it does rain quite a bit, but we don't really get those intense down pours of rain, we usually just get drizzles.  So this is always a treat for me (hah I'm such a nerd!)


C A R A M E L I Z E D  O N I O N  W H I T E   B E A N  D I P  R E C I P E

Ingredients
☂ 2 cups of sliced onions
☂ 1 (15 oz.) can of great northern beans, drain the liquid into a cup and DO NOT RINSE BEANS
☂ 6 Tbsp. of liquid from the can of great northern beans
☂ 2 Tbsp. olive oil
☂ salt and black pepper to taste

Directions
Place a pan onto medium-low heat and add olive oil and onions.  Caramelize the onions until they begin to turn golden brown.  We are not trying to get burn marks on the onions, just trying to make them melty and delicious.  This will take about 30-40 minutes (this may seem like a while, but it is totally worth it to get the flavor we are looking to get) and remember to stir them occasionally.  
☂ Add salt and pepper to the caramelized onions and cook for another minute and then pull them off the heat and add them to a food processor. 
☂ Add beans and 6 Tbsp. of bean liquid to the food processor and blend until the mixture is completely smooth.
☂ Taste the dip and season it with salt and pepper to taste!
☂ WALAH!  Enjoy and start feeling nourished

[These are my lettuce wrap greek burgers that I served with the dip.  This will be a recipe I will post in the near future, incase you were wondering!]


No comments:

Post a Comment