Thursday, March 20, 2014

Chicken Tortilla Soup


Happy Spring!!  Even though it's currently 40 degrees outside, there are flowers blooming and there has been a bunny eating the dandelion greens in my front yard the past few days. And yes it is one of the cutest things I've ever seen!  So last post I mentioned that I wasn't sick anymore, but oh boy was I wrong.  The sickness came back with a vengeance and about ten times stronger.  I was beginning to feel like I was one of those doomed who got sick with the black plague in the Middle Ages and never got better.  I can be dramatic sometimes, or most of the time.  That's the reason I've been slightly MIA.  That's also the reason why you're getting another soup recipe because that's really what I felt like having.  This recipe is really dear to my heart and I make it all the time, sometimes once a week.  I discovered chicken tortilla soup last year and ever since have been totally obsessed.  If you have read my about me, really I use any excuse to eat tortilla chips (we all have our vices, right? right.)  That being said, this soup has plenty of delicious elements.  Honestly, just typing about it is making me crave it and it's 8:30 in the morning haha.  I'll just get to it then and tell you seriously to make it because you are missing out if you don't.


C H I C K E N  T O R T I L L A  S O U P       R E C I P E

Ingredients
☂ 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, fully cooked, diced (I like to get bags of frozen chicken breasts because they are super convenient and I just follow the cooking directions on the bag)
☂ 2 red onions, diced
☂ 1 Tbsp. olive oil
☂ 7 garlic cloves, finely minced
☂ 1 jalapeno, finely minced, seeded (if you enjoy spicier food feel free to keep in the seeds or add in another jalapeno)
☂ 10 cups of chicken stock (I use Organic Better Than Bouillon Chicken Bouillon to make my stock)
☂ 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
☂ 15 oz. can corn, drained
☂ 15 oz. can black beans, drained, rinsed
☂ juice of 2 limes
☂ 2 tsp. ground cumin
☂ 1 cup cilantro leaves
☂ black pepper to taste
☂ 2 avocados, diced
☂ bag of tortilla chips

Directions
☂ Heat olive oil in a soup pot on medium heat.  Add in red onions and begin to saute.
☂ Once the onions have softened, add in jalapeno and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes making sure the garlic doesn't burn.
☂ Add diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, cumin, and black pepper.  Give it a stir and let it cook for a minute.
☂ Add in chicken stock.  Turn heat to high and let the soup come to a boil.
☂ Let the soup boil for 10-15 minutes so that the flavors begin to concentrate.  
☂ Turn the heat to medium high and add in diced chicken, lime juice, and cilantro.
☂ Once everything has warmed through turn the heat to low and the soup is ready to serve.
☂ To top your bowl of soup add diced avocado and tortilla chips.
 WALAH!  Enjoy and start feeling nourished

No comments:

Post a Comment