Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Potato Salad with Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing































First of all I would like to state that the potatoes shown above are in fact sweet potatoes, not yams.  Yams are orange and often try to impersonate sweet potatoes, especially trying to play it off when they turn into fry or pie form, but they are not fooling me.  That aside, I am so happy to share this recipe with all of you. I was never really a fan of potato salad growing up, but as I got older I liked it okay, nothing too special. I thought I'd try to jazz it up a bit first of all by using sweet potatoes and then avocados in the dressing to make a creamy dressing.  Since I've started eating dairy free a year ago I always miss eating creamy foods.  Even though there's good recipes for a vinegar based potato salad, I definitely wanted to try giving this salad that creamy element I crave.  This potato salad definitely delivers on that and is ridiculously addictive, and I'm okay with that.


P O T A T O  S A L A D with                   A V O C A D O  C I L A N T R O  L I M E  
D R E S S I N G 
R E C I P E

Ingredients
4 medium/large sweet potatoes
olive oil
salt and black pepper

Dressing
☂ 1 large (or 2 small) avocado
☂ juice of 2 limes
☂ 1 garlic clove
☂ 1 Tbsp. olive oil
☂ 1 tsp. sugar
☂ 1 tsp. salt 
☂ 1 tsp. black pepper
☂ 1 tsp. adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers and adobo sauce)
☂ 2 Tbsp. cilantro leaves, washed and dried

Directions
☂ Preheat oven to 400F degrees
☂ Cut sweet potatoes into ½ to 1 inch circles and then slice the circles in half (to make half moon shapes).  
☂ Place sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.  Toss everything together to coat.
☂ Bake for 40 minutes.
☂ For the dressing, add all ingredients EXCEPT cilantro to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
☂ When the dressing is smooth, add the cilantro leaves to the food processor and pulse it a couple of times just to mix the cilantro into the dressing.
☂ Once the sweet potatoes have cooked, place them into a large bowl.  Add the dressing while they are still warm and toss it all together to coat.
☂ Taste the potato salad and add additional salt and pepper as needed.
 WALAH!  Enjoy and start feeling nourished

No comments:

Post a Comment