Monday, June 2, 2014

Cod Milanese

I work as a personal chef for a couple and a few weeks back I made them Chicken Milanese.  Dear God did I have some serious food envy.  It was not the healthiest looking recipe, but it did look delicious.  While I was making it I was thinking I NEED to make this.  I wasn't sure how I was going to make this in a way that I could eat this and the idea left my mind.  Then a few days ago I was meal planning for my family's week of food (which is something I never do, but I neeed to do this more because it is so much simpler!  I mean first of all you don't have to grocery shop every other day and there is so much less stress when you're running out of time the night of thinking what are we going to eat?!) I was looking at what was on sale at my grocery store and they were having a special on cod.  The light bulb went off in my head and I just thought I'm going to make this with cod and just wing it, it can't be too hard.  So just going off what I remembered about the recipe I made for the couple, I sort of adapted it in a gluten, dairy & egg free way and a little bit healthier because of the cod.  The results were super yummy and satisfying.  

C O D  M I L A N E S E  R E C I P E

Ingredients
 2½ lbs. cod
    cup gluten free all-purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
 ¼ cup potato starch (if you can't find this at your grocery store it's available on amazon)
 ½ tsp. salt
 ½ cup plain soy milk
 6 Tbsp. olive oil

milanese sauce
 ½ cup white wine
 3 Tbsp. earth balance (or any non dairy butter)
 juice of 1 lemon
 1½ Tbsp. capers, chopped

Directions
 Pat cod with paper towels so that it is dry on the outside (this will help with breading).  Cut cod into serving size pieces.
 Prepare two shallow bowls and a plate.  In the first bowl pour in the soy milk.  In the second bowl combine gluten free flour, potato starch, and salt.
 Take each individual piece of cod and coat in soy milk and then bread in the flour mix and place on the plate.  
 Once all the cod is breaded heat a large pan to medium-high heat and add 3 Tbsp. of olive oil.
 When the oil is hot add in half of the cod and cook for about 4 minutes on one side (until golden brown) and then flip and cook until fish is cooked through (another few minutes).  Place the cod on paper towel lined plates.
 Once the first batch of cod is cooked add in 3 more Tbsp. of olive oil to the pan and add in the second batch of cod.  If the pan has gotten too hot turn it down to medium (you don't want the outside to burn or cook too fast).  Cook it with the same method as you cooked the first and then place on paper towel lined plates when done.  
 In the same pan you just cooked the cod in, add white wine and let it reduce for a minute.  Now add in lemon juice, earth balance, and capers.  Cook for a few minutes for the sauce to reduce and come together.
 To serve, spoon a couple teaspoons of sauce over each piece of cod.  Do not pour the sauce over all of the cod because the cod will get soggy and any leftovers will not hold up as well.
 WALAH!  Enjoy and start feeling nourished

No comments:

Post a Comment