Saturday, June 14, 2014

Thai Panang Chicken Curry













































Thai food is probably my favorite kind of food that exists.  I know that's a strong statement, but seriously Thai food has some of the best flavors that I have ever had and BONUS a lot of Thai food is easy to make gluten free.  Plus it doesn't usually have dairy in it so it is a easy food for me to make and eat.  Panang is definitely my favorite flavor of Thai curry although it is a hard choice because who am I kidding I love all Thai curries.  I will point out that I have had bad Thai curry in restaurants before and I do feel lucky to live in the Seattle area where we actually have amazing Asian food.  It is a pretty easy recipe to make, it's just a matter of tracking down all the ingredients (which shouldn't be hard as long as you live in a somewhat diverse area).  If you do find ingredients hard to find I will put in substitutions at the end of the ingredients list.  This is one of my family's favorite dishes that I make and anytime I make it for anyone it is always a hit.  

T H A I  P A N A N G  C H I C K E N  C U R R Y  R E C I P E

Ingredients
☂ 2 large chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper, fully cooked and thinly sliced(should be around 1½ lbs.)
☂ 2 cans coconut milk (make sure they're full fat and not light)
☂ 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
☂ 2 Tbsp. panang curry paste (I use the Aroy-D brand & if you like spicier food you can add more to your liking)
☂ ½ cup water
☂ ½ lb. fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
☂ 2½ Tbsp. fish sauce
☂ 2½ Tbsp. brown sugar
☂ 10 kaffir lime leaves (I find these at my local Asian grocery store)
☂ juice of 1 lime
☂ 2 Tbsp. Thai basil leaves, chopped (I also find this at my local Asian grocery store)
☂ cooked rice

substitutions 
☂ if you can't find the kaffir lime leaves you can add the zest of 1-2 limes to taste.
☂ if you can't find the Thai basil you can add regular fresh basil 

Directions
☂ Place a large soup pot on high heat and add in 1 can of coconut milk.  Bring it to a simmer and add in red bell pepper slices and panang curry paste. Mix the curry paste in and let it all simmer for 5-7 minutes.  
☂ Add in green beans, fish sauce, brown sugar, water, kaffir lime leaves, 2nd can of coconut milk, and lime juice.  Let it simmer on high for about 10 minutes, if it starts to burn reduce the temperature to medium or medium-high heat.  
☂ Once the curry has simmered down and thickened turn the heat to medium and add the thinly sliced chicken breasts and thai basil.
☂ Let it simmer together for 3-5 minutes or just until the Thai basil slightly wilts.
Before serving, remove the kaffir lime leaves, they are a little bit hard to eat (kind of like a bay leaf).  
☂ Serve over rice.
☂ WALAH!  Enjoy and start feeling nourished

No comments:

Post a Comment