Saturday, June 21, 2014

Southwest Corn Salad































































































One day when I was younger I decided I didn't like corn on the cob.  You see my family has barbecues pretty frequently and growing up we would always have the same thing: a steak, corn on the cob, and a baked potato.  Except for me, I wouldn't have the corn.  I don't know when I decided I didn't like it, but for some weird reason I did.  Up until this past year I still would never eat it because my family never bought it for me knowing that I "didn't like it."  Thinking about it, it's seeming weirder and weirder but I guess after all those years of having it reinforced that I didn't eat corn on the cob, I didn't.  I will state however I ate corn in other things, just not from the cob, it was always canned corn.  That is up until this past year when I tasted corn on the cob and realized how absolutely delicious it was and sweet!  It was a whole different experience than my canned corn and I felt like a fool, a real fool.  Why had I denied this delicious treat for so long.  Anyways now that that has been cleared up, I try to take many opportunities to eat corn from the cob.  This salad is a great way to really highlight the taste and sweetness of the corn.  It is completely a summer salad and is super light and refreshing.  It is freaking fabulous with salmon, but can be served with any protein.  This recipe is definitely a keeper.


S O U T H W E S T  C O R N  S A L A D         R E C I P E

Ingredients
☂ 5 ears of corn (white, yellow, or a mix of both!)
☂ 1 poblano pepper
☂ ½ of a red onion, chopped

dressing
☂ 2 Tbsp. olive oil
☂ 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
☂ ½ tsp. salt
☂ ½ tsp. black pepper
☂ zest of 1 lime
☂ juice of ½ a lime

Directions
☂ Preheat oven to 350 F.  
☂ While the oven is preheating take the ears of corn and pull out any visible corn silk.  Once the oven has preheated place the ears of corn (still inside the husk) directly on the oven rack.  Bake for 30 minutes.
☂ While the corn is cooking whisk together all of the dressing ingredients.
☂ Once the corn is done cooking pull it out of the oven and leave it for a few minutes to cool.
☂ Now put the oven to broil.  Place the poblano pepper in a small baking dish and rub it lightly with olive oil.
☂ Place it into the broiler and char it for 4 minutes on one side and flip it over and char it for 3 minutes on the other side.  Once that has been charred pull it out of the oven and let it sit.
☂ Remove the husk and corn silk from the corn cobs and cut all the kernels into a bowl (If you cut these on a plate or cutting board the kernels will fly everywhere!)
☂ To the bowl add the red onion and the dressing.
☂ Once the poblano has cooled, cut the top off and remove all the seeds.  Mince up the poblano pepper and add it into the bowl with the salad.  Mix the salad so that everything is coated by the dressing.
☂ WALAH!  Enjoy and start feeling nourished

No comments:

Post a Comment