Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Banana Bread (Gluten, Dairy & Egg Free)
























Until now I hadn't had banana bread since I became gluten free over a year ago.  That's crazy.  I loved banana bread as a child, it was one of the special things that my mom made for my family that we actually liked haha (no offense to my mother, she was just ahead of her time with healthy food and would home brew us kombucha and other very healthy and non kid approved foods).  Honestly I haven't really baked much since going gluten free, and by not much I mean not every few days like I use to bake!  When I am making a gluten free baking recipe I never look up a gluten free recipe, I always look up a regular recipe and honestly just toy and play with it and make it completely my own.  Many people think that's crazy because baking is suppose to be so precise and especially gluten free baking, but that's just how I roll.  It works for me so I don't really change it.  Also another thing is I've never used xantham gum before, I'm sure it wouldn't do the baked goods any harm, but I haven't really seen the point when they come out fine without it.  So back to the banana bread, I just want to honestly state that this is the best banana bread I have ever made or had.  Granted I really did tailor it to my taste, but more than that it is super moist without being overly moist if you know what I mean.  The texture doesn't taste gluten free and it is just suppppperr flavorful.  I'm really proud of this one and think that's it's really worth giving a try even if you don't have food allergies!

B A N A N A  B R E A D  R E C I P E

Ingredients
☂ 4 bananas, mashed
☂ ½ cup earth balance (or any dairy free butter), melted
☂ ¾ cup sugar
☂ 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
☂ 2 Tbsp. water
☂ 2 tsp. baking powder
☂ 1 tsp. baking soda
☂ 1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
☂ 1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
☂ 1 tsp. ground ginger
☂ 2 Tbsp. honey
dash of salt
☂ 1½ cups gluten free all-purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)

Directions
☂ Preheat oven to 350 F.  Thoroughly grease a loaf pan.  
☂ In a small bowl mix together 2 Tbsp. water, 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil, and 2 tsp. baking powder (these ingredients act as an egg substitute).
☂ In a large bowl mix together mashed bananas, melted earth balance, sugar, baking soda, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, honey, salt, and egg substitute mixture from the small bowl.
☂ Gently fold in gluten free flour until it is all combined but not over mixed!
☂ Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake it for 1 hour.
☂ After an hour poke it with a toothpick to ensure that it has fully cooked and then pull it out of the oven and LET IT COOL for 30 minutes to and hour.  If you cut it hot IT WILL JUST CRUMBLE.
☂ WALAH!  Enjoy and start feeling nourished

2 comments:

  1. oo la la i'm waiting for it to bake now :3

    ReplyDelete