Friday, May 16, 2014

Korean Seafood Vegetable Pancakes


























When I was younger I always hated pancakes.  I don't mean the way you hated everything because you were a little punk kid either, I legit couldn't get far enough away from them.  The smell of them cooking made me nauseous. TMI?  I was kind of a weirdo haha.  Then I remember having these at a friends house and absolutely loving them; it's possible that these are what opened me the world of pancakes.  You see these don't really taste anything like normal pancakes, they are savory and crispy, and just overall wonderful.  I am just now coming out of sort of a creative food rut and the idea of making these popped into my head.  I looked online for recipes of them that I could eat, but I didn't find any.  That kind of made me even more excited because I realized I had the opportunity to share this recipe with all of those with the same food allergies as me that would absolutely love these. They are really delicious and addictive and just a warning this recipe makes a loooottt of batter, but the batter keeps fine in the refrigerator for a few days (I've been eating them for lunches).  Also if you make them, MAKE THE DIPPING SAUCE, seriously serious like caps lock serious because it takes them from good to great.

K O R E A N  S E A F O O D  V E G E T A B L E  P A N C A K E S  R E C I P E

Ingredients 
Pancakes
☂ 5 cups all-purpose gluten free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
☂ 2½ cups water
☂ 6 Tbsp. water
☂ 3 Tbsp. olive oil
☂ 2 Tbsp. baking powder
☂ ½ tsp. salt
☂ 1 lb. bay shrimp (these are small shrimp that come cleaned and cooked)
☂ 2 medium zucchini, cut into matchsticks
☂ 5 green onions, roughly chopped
☂ 2 medium carrots, shredded
☂ 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
olive oil to cook pancakes

Dipping Sauce
☂ 4 Tbsp. tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
☂ 2 Tbsp. vinegar
☂ 1 Tbsp. sugar
☂ 1 Tbsp. water

Directions
☂ In a small bowl mix together 6 Tbsp. water, 3 Tbsp. olive oil, and 2 Tbsp. baking powder (these ingredients act as an egg replacement).
☂ In a large bowl mix together gluten free flour, 2½ cups water, salt, and the egg replacement mixture from step one.
☂ Now fold in the shrimp and vegetables. (This batter isn't extremely thick so don't be alarmed, that's how it's suppose to be!)
☂ Heat a non-stick pan to medium high heat and drizzle in a little olive oil and wait until the pan is hot.  
☂ With the batter, spoon in a few thin miniature pancakes (if you make them too big it is hard for them to cook all the way through without burning on the outside).  When they have browned on one side drop the heat to medium and flip them over and cook until they are completely cooked through (this takes roughly 4 minutes).  If they start to burn at any point just turn the heat down!
☂ While these are cooking you can mix together the dipping sauce ingredients!
☂ These can be served hot or cold, but I would recommend if you have extra batter, rather than cooking it all up, save the batter and cook these pancakes individually.  They will get somewhat soggy if they are refrigerated after being cooked!
☂ WALAH!  Enjoy and start feeling nourished






No comments:

Post a Comment